Building Division

The Building Division is responsible for administering the building permit and inspection program in accordance with State building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and manufactured dwelling setup codes. Certified inspectors supported by clerical staff perform these tasks.


****INSPECTION NOTICE:  We will not be performing any structural, plumbing, or mechanical inspections during the week of Monday, December 12, 2016 through Friday, December 16, 2016. However, we will be performing electrical inspections Monday, December 12, 2016 through Thursday, December 15, 2016. Please visit the Building Inspections page for information on scheduling inspections.****


Building Division Staff

Mark Burrows, Building Official

John Powell, Electrical Inspector

Autumn Hillebrand, Office Manager

Coren Paris, Permit Specialist

Cole Steckley, Permit Specialist

Kayla Bizon, Office Specialist

Please visit the Permit Processes website for information on applying for Building, Manufactured Structure, Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical Permits at Polk County for the following jurisdictions:

  • Building Permits – County and City of Falls City only (not including City of Dallas, City of Independence, City of Monmouth, City of Salem, City of Willamina)
  • Manufactured Structure Permits – County and City of Falls City only
  • Electrical Permits – County, City of Dallas, City of Falls City and City of Independence

** Effective July 1, 2011 Electrical Permits within Monmouth city limits will be administered by the City of Monmouth. Please contact our office if you have any questions.**

***Licensed Contractors - Purchase Permits Online***

If you are a licensed contractor, you are now able to purchase limited Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing Permits online that do not require a plan review, through the State of Oregon's ePermitting website.  To utilize this convenient way to purchase permits online, visit the State of Oregon ePermitting website at


***Carbon Monoxide Alarm/Detector requirements,
effective April 1, 2011***

View the new code change in the 2008 Oregon Residential Specialty Code and the new Mechanical Permit Application form. For more information, view our flyer and the State of Oregon's web page regarding carbon monoxide.


***Radon Control Method requirements, effective April 1, 2011***

View the Radon Control Methods handout for more information on the amendment to Appendix F, of the Oregon Residential Specialty Code, for new dwelling construction.


***Lead-Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule***

Required License Information:  The state of Oregon requires that any individual  or company performing electrical, HVAC, or plumbing work obtain the required licenses. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires that renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in pre-1978 homes, childcare facilities, and schools be performed by an EPA Certified Renovator working for an EPA Certified Firm and that specific work practices be implemented to prevent lead contamination. More information is available at 1-800-424-LEAD [5323] or