Keeping Polk County beautiful is the responsibility of every citizen, young and old. It is a responsibility that goes beyond basic ordinance requirements, reaching instead to higher community standards that will reduce crime and increase the livability of our neighborhoods. This information has been developed to assist citizens in identifying some of their property maintenance responsibilities, and when to report violations.
Download: Nuisance Abatement Ordinance (Chap. 43)
Polk County Nuisance Abatement Ordinance 43.085 INADEQUATE DISPOSAL A NUISANCE.
1) The discharge of raw or partially treated sewage onto the ground surface or into the waters of the State of Oregon.
2) Placing into use an existing on-site sewage disposal system without an Authorization Notice as required by OAR 340-71-205.
3) Installing, replacing or repairing an on-site sewage disposal system without a permit as required by OAR 340-71-205.
Installing, replacing or repairing an on-site sewage disposal system without a license from the Department of Environmental Quality as required by OAR 340-71-600 (1) and (2). The owner of the property who holds a valid permit for an on-site sewage disposal system is exempt from this section.
Polk County Nuisance Abatement Ordinance 43.058.
a) Discarding or depositing any rubbish, trash, garbage, debris or other refuse or solid waste upon the land of another without permission of the owner, or upon any public way or in or upon any public transportation facility; or
b) Draining or causing or permitting to be drained, garbage, debris or other refuse or solid waste upon any public way or in or upon any public transportation facility; or
Permitting any rubbish, trash, garbage, debris or other refuse or solid waste to be thrown from a vehicle which the person is operating. However, this paragraph does not apply to a person operating a vehicle transporting passengers for hire subject to regulations by the Interstate Commerce of Oregon, or to a person operating a school bus described under ORS 801.460. [Ord. 91-35, Sec 4]
Polk County Nuisance Abatement Ordinance 43.050
CREATION OF NUISANCE BY ACCUMULATION OF SOLID WASTE.
Except as provided in the Solid Waste Collection and Disposal Code, no person shall store, collect, maintain or display on private property, waste or solid waste that is offensive or hazardous to the health and safety of the public or which creates offensive odors or a condition of unsightliness. Storage, collection, maintenance or display of wastes or solid wastes in violation of this section shall be considered to be a public nuisance.
Polk County Nuisance Abatement Ordinance 43.055
UNAUTHORIZED DUMPING PROHIBITED.
Except at landfills, transfer sites and recycling depots approved by the Board; no person shall allow the accumulation or temporary storage of the following materials on any property.
1) Bulky, unsightly materials including, but not limited to; appliances, inoperable or abandoned vehicles or parts, building demolition wastes, industrial wood wastes, land clearing debris, discarded furniture and bedding or scrap metals shall not be accumulated or stored form more than thirty (30) days.
Household type rubbish, debris or garbage shall not be accumulated or stored form more than fourteen (14) days.
Polk County Nuisance Abatement Ordinance 43.080
BUILDINGS CONSIDERED A NUISANCE
1) All buildings or structures, or portions thereof, which are determined by the building official to be dangerous as defined by Section 43.030 (5).
2) Constructing a building without a permit as required by the Building Code.
3) Placing a mobile home without a permit.
4) Occupying or changing the use of a building or structure without occupancy permit.
5) Selling or renting a dwelling which has been used as a clandestine drug lab without providing a written notice to the new owner or renter. Making an electrical installation without a permit. [Ord. 94-4, Sec. 9.]
Polk County Nuisance Abatement Ordinance 43.090
A NON-PERMITTED LAND USE NUISANCE.
1) Creating a use which is prohibited.
2) Creating or changing a use which requires a permit.
3) Expanding a use which is non-conforming.
4) Changing to a use which is not permitted. Failing to comply with conditions of a permit.
COMMUNITY MEDIATION SERVICES (CMS) :
CMS offers free mediation of neighborhood disputes such as:
•Noise •Children •Vandalism •Property• Parking
•Boundary •Trespass •Harassment •Landlord •Trees
•Animals •Family• Nuisance and more
VORP and Community Mediation Services of Polk County
976 SW Hayter Dallas, OR 97338 at (503) 623-3111.
If within a city, you must contact the city's nuisance abatement office: